[Users] How OVZ community treats Vz7

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 5 18:07:45 MSK 2017

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> 1) will it be possible to backup  CTs , regarding
> https://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&th=13160&start=0 it is
> challenging !?

While prlctl's backup feature isn't implemented, the way people have been doing it for years in OpenVZ Legacy continues to work just fine... so far as I know.

> 2) as an academic institution, we cannot  move to commercial
> virtuozzo7 (yet), will we loose features by moving  from vz6 to Vz7
> (other than 1) backup

I'm not aware of any features you lose by going from OpenVZ Legacy to OpenVZ 7 other than as complete support for simfs.  There is a lot of stuff you gain however... like KVM VMs.

> 3) what is the core of CTs in Vz7 , proxmox 4 uses LXC, others uses
> docker or whatever ... I am curious to know on what technology are
> based CTs in openvz 7 ?

OpenVZ uses its own container technology... the one that started in 2001, became OpenVZ in 2005, and pre-dates both LXC and Docker by many years.  Of course they didn't call them containers right off the bat.  First they were "Virtual Environments" (VE).  Then they transitioned to "Virtual Private Server" (VPS), and finally "Containers".

> 4) what is the "market share" of virtuozzo7 and Vz7 , is there an
> independant study or internal stats featuring virtualization
> solutions usage over ISPs, hosting companies and other institutions ? what is
> the place of virtuozzo7 and/or community Vz7 in this world ?

I haven't seen any data for OpenVZ7 but there is this site/application that has data for OpenVZ Legacy:
https://stats.openvz.org/

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle