[Users] Fedora 25 OS Template for OpenVZ Legacy in contrib

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Nov 24 14:02:35 PST 2016

Greetings,

I created / contributed a Fedora 25 64-bit OS Template for OpenVZ Legacy today.  The script that was used to create it is within the OS Template (/root/create-fedora25-ostemplate.sh) and you can build the OS Template within a container (that's how I did it).

The only issues I've noticed with it is that a few things seem to want certain capabilities that aren't on by default with an container.  The two examples I've noticed so far are:

1) ping - historically has been SUID but now isn't but requires correct capabilities be set to function.  That has probably been the case with the last few Fedora releases already.

2) systemd / dnf sometimes complain about not being able to get exclusive lock during package installs... but so far as I can tell, works just fine.

I'm not very knowledgeable about capabilities yet so if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve those noted issues, please let me know.  I'm guessing that anyone who really cares about those can tweak / fix them by granting the container the needed capabilities... and it isn't something I can just add to the OS Template.

I have used this template to create a GUI container (with the XFCE desktop and a handful of desktop applications) that I access via the x2go remoting protocol.  Works great.  For anyone interested in that, I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader but feel free to email me directly with any specific questions you might have.

The basic Fedora 25 64-bit OS Template for OpenVZ Legacy can be found here:

https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/fedora-25-x86_64-20161124.tar.xz
https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/fedora-25-x86_64-20161124.tar.xz.asc

The web version of the contributed OS Templates page probably needs to be updated but the raw view shows those just fine.

Enjoy,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street