[Users] OpenVZ vz Virtuozzo

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Nov 22 14:11:41 PST 2016

Hi,

I'm writing this clarify the distinction between OpenVZ and Virtuozzo,
and the relation between the two.

Fortunately, there is no need to tell you what OpenVZ is, so I'll happily
skip that part, except for one important thing. OpenVZ is a technology,
not a product, and was never intended to be a product.

The product, actually, a set of products, a platform, is Virtuozzo.
We build OpenVZ for the community and enthusiasts.We build Virtuozzo
on top of OpenVZ for companies whose business dependson it.

Virtuozzo is based on Linux, OpenVZ, and many other great technologies
(which we are contributing back to) and it provides everything that
OpenVZ does, plus extras such as:

* 24x7 Support
The Virtuozzo Support team is fantastic, and all they do is help customers
with Virtuozzo. I can't say enough good things about them -- they always
impress me with their professionalism (and I'm not one who is easily
impressed).

* Virtuozzo Storage
This is a software-defined storage solution, a distributed file system
that combines the local storage space on all servers into a big pool
and makes it available from every server (side benefit: no need to copy
the data during live migration). Virtuozzo Storage automatically
handles redundancy, optimizes performance, improves efficiency
and does other magical things.

* ReadyKernel
This is a kpatch-based mechanism that lets you update the kernel
without a reboot. In light of recent security holes, the possibility
to patch a vulnerability instantly, without waiting for scheduled
downtime, is truly priceless.

* More Tools, More Features
This includes, but is not limited to, backup, management web interface,
and monitoring tools.

There's more to it, but let's keep it simple.

To learn more, please see https://virtuozzo.com/openvz

Regards,
   Kir.