[Users] I've noticed a new 'readykernel' package

Frank Myhr fmyhr at fhmtech.com
Tue Nov 1 02:03:40 PDT 2016

Hi Konstantin,

On 10/31/2016 12:17 PM, Konstantin Khorenko wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On 10/31/2016 03:32 PM, Tom Krause wrote:
>> So how I get a patched kernel for openvz7? I think, I'm affected by
>> the COW ...
>
> you have 2 options:
> 1) enable "factory" yum repo (which points to
> https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/) and update "vzkernel"
> package.
> Packages in this repo are updated nightly.
>
> 1.a) update "vzkernel" manually via "rpm -Uhv
> https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/os/Packages/v/vzkernel-..."
>
> And reboot the node, obviously.
>
> 2) buy Virtuozzo :)
> In that case you'll get a subscription to ReadyKernel
> (https://readykernel.com/), and the fixing process will be like
> # yum update readykernel-patch-$(uname -r)
>
> And you won't need to reboot the node after that.

Thanks for your instructions to get the latest patched vzkernel. Generally I
don't want to run nightly kernel builds in production. Will the Dirty COW and
future security patches make their way into stable OpenVZ 7 kernels soon after
testing in nightly builds? (Same as with OpenVZ 6 stable kernel series?)

Thanks,
Frank