[Users] vzctl compact works only, if there are no snapshots

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 08:27:33 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 15:10 +0000, Dmitry Mishin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/06/16 11:52, "users-bounces at openvz.org on behalf of Roman
> Haefeli"
> <users-bounces at openvz.org on behalf of reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear All,
> >
> > We're considering creating regular snapshots of our containers. The
> > setup would include deleting the oldest snapshots. While playing
> > around
> > with creating and deleting snapshots, I noticed that the root.hdd
> > file
> > keeps growing. It seems there is no point at all in deleting old
> > snapshots for the only purpose of saving disk space. Then I tried
> > reclaim some space back with 'vzctl compact <name>', but it wasn't
> > able
> > to reclaim anything. Only when I deleted all snapshots, 'vzctl
> > compact
> > <name>' seems to be effective.
> >
> > Now, my question is, will there be support in the future to reclaim
> > space, even if there are snapshots?
> It's a bit tricky, and that'a why there were no such plans so far.
> Could you please explain why are you considering regular snapshots?
> What
> is a use case?

Our ploop containers have their image on an NFS store. We once had an
outage of the NFS server and thus a lot of images with broken
filesystems. We do have backups, but sometimes it would be easier to
simply switch to a recent snapshot.

Why is it considered special to have a snapshots of the - let's say -
past 7 days?

Roman