[Users] New setup - deploy OpenVZ or wait for VZ7?

Volker Janzen voja at voja.de
Mon Jun 6 11:41:10 PDT 2016

Hi Sergey,

>> On 13:23 Mon 06 Jun , Volker Janzen wrote:
>> Hi Sergey,

>>> There is only one supported configuration for new installations -
>>> clean Virtuozzo 7 installation.
>>
>> okay I see. My setup will be unsupported if installed on plain CentOS 7 either way.
>
> I forgot to mention one important thing in my previous answer. As you know
> Virtuozzo 7 based on VzLinux distribution. VzLinux is a Linux distribution similar
> to CentOS but it is not the same. VzLinux is not just rebuilded RPM packages
> from CentOS. Some RPM packages in VzLinux contains fixes or changes specific to
> Virtuozzo which are absent in RHEL/CentOS.

So this sentence from the quick Installation guide is just false: "Alternatively, one can install OpenVZ on a pre-installed RPM based Linux distribution. Supported Linux distributions: Cloud Linux 7.*, CentOS 7.*, Scientific Linux 7.* etc"
Source: https://openvz.org/Quick_installation_of_Virtuozzo_7

You're telling now it's not an alternative. It should be removed from the guide, it's a huge change in the plans on how to deploy VZ7. For now, I was able to fire up a CentOS 6 host and then follow the guide for installing OpenVZ. With VZ7, I will need to be able to install from my own ISO image, this might cause problems with the hosters I use and I really need to evaluate if this is a good way to go. I really prefer OpenVZ container in favour of lxc and I'd like to stay with it, but I also need an easy way to fire up a new host system.

> Please understand me correctly, we don't want to support a variety of all Linux zoo.
> It requires much more time of development, testing and support.

It is okay to do that. You're not alone with that. But the install guide should not state an alternative in the setup guide, that is no alternative. I will now need to re-evaluate VZ7 usage completly.

Regards,
    Volker