[Users] vzctl compact works only, if there are no snapshots

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 01:52:22 PDT 2016

Dear All,

We're considering creating regular snapshots of our containers. The
setup would include deleting the oldest snapshots. While playing around
with creating and deleting snapshots, I noticed that the root.hdd file
keeps growing. It seems there is no point at all in deleting old
snapshots for the only purpose of saving disk space. Then I tried to
reclaim some space back with 'vzctl compact <name>', but it wasn't able
to reclaim anything. Only when I deleted all snapshots, 'vzctl compact
<name>' seems to be effective.

Now, my question is, will there be support in the future to reclaim
space, even if there are snapshots?

Am I right in thinking that there is no reason to delete snaphots, since
it will never free any disk space?

Thanks,
Roman