[Users] Latest changes in Virtuozzo 7 development 20160229

Sergey Bronnikov sergeyb at openvz.org
Mon Feb 29 06:14:39 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

As usual, I'd like to share with you the latest Virtuozzo 7 development news.

Most importantly, more features have become available in Virtuozzo 7:

* SimFS in the RHEL 7 kernel [1]
* Memory guarantees for containers and virtual machines [2]
* LVM support in prl_disk_tool [3]
* libvirt-based offline and online migration of virtual machines [4,5]
* Guest tools in QEMU: vm enter/exec with pty/pipe stdio redirection [6]

Also on our agenda is the new website for OpenVZ. If you have any thoughts about
the redesign or have feedback regarding the current website, please take the
survey at http://goo.gl/forms/NK72NXlyq4. Your suggestions will help us make the
new website more usable and convenient.

More good news: Virtuozzo architect Pavel Emelyanov was elected to a one-year
term on the Technology Oversight Board of the Open Container Initiative [7]. In
this role, Pavel and his fellow board members will help influence the technical
direction and adoption of emerging standards in the container industry. For
those of you unfamiliar with the OCI, the Open Container Initiative is a
lightweight, open-governance structure, formed under the auspices of the Linux
Foundation, for the express purpose of creating open industry standards around
container formats and runtime. Virtuozzo is one of the founding members of the
OCI.

Events
======

At the end of January, we participated in FOSDEM. If you couldn't be there,
here's a link to videos of talks you might find interesting [8].

In February, Pavel Emelyanov gave a talk "Live migrating a container: pros,
cons, and gotchas" at DevConf.CZ. Here's a link as well [9].

Also in February, Tycho Andersen from Canonical gave a talk "Live Migration of
Linux Containers" at Linux.conf.au, watch here [10].

Links
=====

[1] https://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/users/2016-January/006733.html
[2] https://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/users/2016-January/006732.html