[Users] HDD and SSD for OpenVZ legagy

Corrado Fiore lists at corradofiore.it
Wed Feb 10 15:08:48 PST 2016

Hi,

you've got basically two choices:

(1) pstorage (known as Parallels Cloud Storage, Odin Cloud Storage and now Virtuozzo Storage).  Check on the OpenVZ wiki for that.

Notes:

  • it can be distributed over multiple nodes (clustering)
  • it will prevent data corruption / file system corruption through ongoing scrubbing; that'a huge plus.
  • it's commercial, but priced reasonably
  • it can be used with OpenVZ

(2) btier 1.3.x from Mark Ruijter (http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/).

You'll need to create a hybrid partition on your system and put /vz on it.

Notes:

  • Btier is VERY fast!
  • you really want to use RAID1 for the underlying devices, something that you wouldn't need with pstorage (tiering vs. caching)
  • This setup does nothing to protect you from data corruption or file system corruption, which on EXT4 will eventually happen.  This is a key difference from pstorage.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Corrado