[Users] vz-guest-tools-lin installer doesn't have to install gdebi for debian & ubuntu, but instead install gdebi-core

Denis Silakov dsilakov at virtuozzo.com
Mon Dec 5 01:49:06 PST 2016

Hi,

thanks for the info, we should indeed replace "gdebi" with "gdebi-core".
We'll include this change into the next update.

We prefer to use "gdebi" by default (not dpkg) to be able to
automatically install necessary dependencies from OS repositories (e.g.,
we need gcc & co to install our balloon driver).

"gdebi: command not found" comes from the following call in the install
script:

   $PKGMNGR $pkgs || $FALLBACK_PKGMNGR $pkgs

We can suppress stderr here, but on the other hand we will loose
potentially interesting messages in case when gdebi is present but fails
to install a package.

And indeed we don't have this script published at src.openvz.org, likely
due to the tricky way the guest tools are built.

On 12/04/2016 01:39 AM, Ing. Viliam Kubis wrote:
> Greetings members,
>
> I was installing vz-guest-tools-lin for openvz7 via the prlctl
> installtools command. The inserted CD image contains an install script.
>
> This script attempts to first run noninteractive apt-get -y install
> gdebi on debian systems. This pulls in many MBs worth of stuff for
> Xorg and GTK, since this package contains the gdebi-gtk graphical
> frontend for gdebi.
>
> It is absolutely enough to install gdebi-core, which provides the
> required gdebi core in /usr/share/gdebi. The installer falls back to
> dpkg -i anyway so I think the whole gdebi installation is unnecessary.
>
> However when you don't install gdebi, the installer spits out many
> bash errors (gdebi: command not found) as it it constantly falling
> back to dpkg, which happened to me when I didn't configure the VM
> network adapter yet. This appears very confusing to the user.
>
> I would love to submit a pull request if I could, but I couldn't find
> vz-guest-tools source published anywhere except on official download site.
>
> I just wanted to share a little insight and if this could be improved
> in the future, that would be great.
>
> Regards,
> Ing. Viliam Kubis :)
> --
>
> Founder, CTO
>
> *KBS Development s.r.o.*
> Seberíniho 1
> 821 03 Bratislava
> www.kbs-development.com <https://www.kbs-development.com>

Regards,

Denis Silakov | Sr. Software Architect, Virtuozzo Linux Team Lid
Altufevskoe shosse, 44 | Moscow, Russia
Phone: +7 916-222-9437 | dsilakov at virtuozzo.com
Skype: denis.silakov

Virtuozzo.com