[Users] Ubuntu 16.04 OS Template (contrib)

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Apr 21 12:44:55 PDT 2016

Greetings,

As you may or may not know, Canonical released Ubuntu 16.04 LTS today.  Someone in the #openvz IRC channel asked about Ubuntu 16.04 working under OpenVZ.  Seems they upgraded an older Ubuntu container and after upgrading, it wasn't quite as functional as one would desire.  I don't have any details on that and I haven't tried it myself... but I will mention that I did upload / add a contributed Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit OS Template today... and it seems functional.

Canonical is a big supporter of LXC and in 16.04 they have this thing named LXD.  In any event, they have been creating and maintaining OS Template like things for LXC for a while... and I just took their LXC Ubuntu 16.04 OS Template and made it into an OS Template for OpenVZ.  I haven't done a lot of testing on it but basic functionality is there.  It is fairly minimal at 77MB .tar.xz.  If interested, check it out:

https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/

ubuntu-1604-amd64.tar.xz	21-Apr-2016 13:55 	77M
ubuntu-1604-amd64.tar.xz.asc	21-Apr-2016 13:57 	198
ubuntu-1604-amd64.tar.xz.md5	21-Apr-2016 13:57 	59

I am not much of an Ubuntu fan / user but I'm guessing some people are... and wanted an OS Template.  Anyone who is good at Ubuntu can certainly improve it and contribute back... until an official one comes out... at which point I'm sure interest will shift to the official OS Template.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street