[Users] Latest changes in Virtuozzo 7 development 20151013

Sergey Bronnikov sergeyb at openvz.org
Tue Oct 13 04:09:07 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you news on the latest changes in Virtuozzo 7 development.

Many of you asked why we used CloudLinux packages in early test builds of
Virtuozzo. This was confusing for a lot of OpenVZ users. Using CL as a package
base made development easier and allowed us to save man-hours. However, for
latest builds (e.g., 7.0-1011) we decided to build our own base packages. So,
there are no more CloudLinux packages in Virtuozzo 7. This means we will provide
full support for all parts of Virtuozzo 7.

As we previously announced, in Virtuozzo 7, Parallels hypervisor will be
replaced with KVM/QEMU. The latest builds in the vz7-beta2 branch allow you to
partially manage virtual machines using the 'prlctl' tool, although standard
tools like 'virsh' and 'virt-install' are available as well. If you need access
to the console, you can use a VNC viewer or virt-manager.

Some of you have already had time to test builds with containers and even submit
bugs to our public bug tracker. Thank you for doing this! The goal for the next
beta milestone is working virtual machines, so please continue testing new
builds. And if you haven't started yet, please do so. Your feedback is highly
appreciated. You can always download the latest Virtuozzo 7 ISO image from our
server [1] or any OpenVZ mirror [2].

To install Linux guest OS inside virtual machine follow steps below:

$ curl -O http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/6.7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.7-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso

$ virt-install --virt-type kvm --name centos-6.7 --ram 1024 \
	--disk centos-6.7.qcow2,format=qcow2 \
	--graphics vnc,password=vz7,listen=0.0.0.0 --noautoconsole
	--os-type=linux --os-variant=rhel6 \
	--extra-args"console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial" \
	--location=CentOS-6.7-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso --network network=Bridged

Starting install...
Retrieving file vmlinuz...                      | 8.1 MB  00:00:00
Retrieving file initrd.img...                   |  69 MB  00:00:00
Creating domain...                              |    0 B  00:00:00
Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.

Then connect to console via VNC or via 'virsh console centos-6.7' and follow
installation steps.

Links
=====

[1] https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/factory/x86_64/iso/