[Users] gcc Version

Joseph joseph at netletter.at
Mon May 18 06:39:09 PDT 2015

Hi Vasily,

I should have been more clear about the circumstances and that I don't
actually experience problems because of the gcc version used in the
kernel-RPMs you provide.
I made the inquiry because while upgrading DRBD to the latest stable
version, I stumbled across a note in the DRBD manual that states, one
should make sure to use the same gcc version for compiling the module as
has been used for compiling the kernel. [1]

I now have been contemplating one of the following

* keep on ignoring Linbit's advice of using the same gcc version
* compiling the kernel with gcc provided by CentOS/RedHat (4.4.7 20120313)
* compiling the module with your version of gcc (4.4.6 20120305)

Currently I ignore Linbit's advice but as I reckon they have a reason
for their recommendation I was exploring option three but I couldn't
find a distro that ships your version of gcc as standard - maybe you
could point me to one.

Of course the fourth option, you "upgrading" your gcc to the same
version used by RedHat would be the most convenient for me (and
everybody else concerned about such recommendations by kernel-module
authors). But I guess you also have your reasons why you use a version
of gcc that is not shiped with the distro the kernel is supposed to be
used with :)

Thanks for all the really great work!

Joseph

[1] http://drbd.linbit.com/users-guide/s-build-from-source.html