[Users] Docker inside an OpenVZ container

Vasily Averin vvs at parallels.com
Tue Mar 24 01:42:00 PDT 2015

On 24.03.2015 02:59, Pavel Snajdr wrote:
> On 03/24/2015 12:48 AM, Pavel Snajdr wrote:

>>> In addition to that, we did a significant amount of kernel work
>>> to allow running Docker inside our containers.
>>>
>>> In general, OpenVZ kernel version (which is 2.6.32) has very little
>>> to do with vanilla 2.6.32, so this number doesn't really mean anything
>>> except that Red Hat kernel team branched their kernel off this
>>> version when they started working on RHEL6.
>>>
>>> Currently this is 2.6.32 plus tons of patches from Red Hat plus
>>> a pretty big patchset from OpenVZ. In particular, we make sure all the
>>> recent distros work inside containers, so sometimes we have to backport
>>> some new syscall or other feature from recent kernels.
>>>
>>> From time to time I see people saying OpenVZ kernel is very old and
>>> obsoleted. It happens because the judge by the label, and the label starts
>>> with 2.6.32. Indeed, 2.6.32 is a very old kernel, but as I explained above
>>> our kernel has very little to do with 2.6.32.
>>
>> Hi Kir,
>>
>> I've been telling those people just about the same thing, but recently I
>> don't think I can agree. I've become more involved in ZFS on Linux
>> development and we run on RHEL6 OpenVZ kernel. The core of RHEL6 is
>> getting old and there are lots and lots of improvement, that have gone
>> upstream, which improve mainly performance and multi-core scalability.
>> For instance and probably the most importantly for me now, I would like
>> to have VFS scalability patches, that have gone into upstream, in OpenVZ
>> RHEL6 kernel as well, as I'd like to see doing more granular eviction on
>> dentries. (http://lwn.net/Articles/636133/)
>
> Sorry, linked the wrong thing, I mean two separate things. Primary
> objective is to have the shrinker work, which has gone to 3.12,
> secondary and nice to have would be these VFS scalability patches.

Dear Pavel,

such backports are quite hard for us.
I'm not decision maker, but it's unlikely that we'll do it in RHEL6-based kernels.
We inherit all infrastructure changes from RHEL6 kernels, and do not changes it without urgent need.
- we risks to broke stable RHEL6 kernel
- it makes hard maintenance, we'll need to re-apply these patches after rebase to new RHEL6 kernels.
- it requires careful testing, so it's an additional load for our QA,
- of course it's an additional task for our developers, but let's forget about this.

You could push RHEL6 and convince them that they need to do this job.
If you'll have hard arguments, they will add the patches into next major update,
update 7 is expected in few months, update 8 most likely will be released in next year.
However nobody guarantees that they will do it too.

Good news is that we're rebasing to RHEL7-kenrels.
So I would recommend you to look at RHEL7 kernels right now, and wait for our rhel7-based kernel.
Docker support in RHEL6 kernels delayed us a little, but anyway we expect to publish first beta in few months.
http://openvz.livejournal.com/49158.html

Thank you,
	Vasily Averin