[Users] vzctl compact fails to compact container, what can i do

Kirill Kolyshkin kolyshkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:19:17 PDT 2015

On 23 March 2015 at 05:35, Rene C. <openvz at dokbua.com> wrote:
> but if I go to /vz/private/2202/root.hdd I find
>
> 4.0K    DiskDescriptor.xml
> 0       DiskDescriptor.xml.lck
> 300G    root.hdd
> 161G    root.hdd.{8c40287b-2e17-45d1-b58f-1119b3b58b53}
> 138G    root.hdd.{fb7ba001-cb78-4dd3-9ac8-cb0c8cbab4f6}
>
> It doesn't seem that there are any snapshots though, so I guess somehow some
> of these files are orphans?
>
> # vzctl snapshot-list 2202
> PARENT_UUID                            C UUID
> DATE                NAME
>                                        *
> {a684e175-e9a0-4e22-aece-98a11081e2f0} 2014-08-10 18:00:01
>
> Any way I can check what is safe to delete?

So, you definitely have 1 vzctl snapshots (which you are free to delete).

Note that there are vzctl snapshots and there are ploop snapshots. A
vzctl snapshot
is a ploop snapshot plus CT config file plus CT dump (if CT was
running while making
a snapshot). But you can also create ploop snapshots which vzctl knows nothing
about, so if you did that you have to remove such a snapshot using
ploop command.

See ploop man page for more details.

As for which files are used by which snapshots, ploop snapshot-list
will give you an idea.

NOTE that if a snapshot was created by vzctl, it's best to use vzctl
to remove it, as otherwise
vzctl snapshot-list will list a snapshot which is no longer valid, and
vzctl snapshot-delete
will fail to remove it (as it's already partly removed), The last
issue is fixed in the future
vzctl version, but it's still better to use the tool you used to
create snapshot to delete it.