[Users] Big comparison Ploop and ext4 vs simfs vs ZFS

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Jul 24 11:05:08 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> So, we could share this article:
> http://www.stableit.ru/2015/07/effectiveness-of-zfs-usage-for-openvz.html
> which shown how ZFS bit ext4 and ploop.

>From your article written in red:

"That's why we have only single file system which ready for 21 century. And ext4 with derivative file systems should be avoided everywhere if possible."

Ummm... no.

Your use case is quite different than the a typical... or at least my use case... where I'm a much, much, much smaller operation with a small handful of containers and less that 1TB of data.  Obviously there are a large number of use cases between me and your large one.

The point is that in your use case ZFS works very well and saves you 1TB of disk space.  Great for you.  For my use case the overhead of learning and deploying ZFS greatly outweighs the handful of GBs I might potentially save in disk space.

Your statement about "And ext4 with derivative file systems should be avoided everywhere if possible" is just grossly exaggerated if not completely false.

It is like saying the Lamborghini Countach is the only car everyone should drive.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street