[Users] Big comparison Ploop and ext4 vs simfs vs ZFS

Kirill Kolyshkin kolyshkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 09:48:02 PDT 2015

Pavel,

Thanks for sharing. I have a few comments.

1. The article only compares disk space usage and nothing else.
Performance, memory footprint, maintainability etc are all left aside. If
this is the only optimization criteria for you, it's fine, but usually such
comparison won't work. Say, you compare two Linux distros by their
installation time and find out that Gentoo is the worst of all, and any
live CD based one is the best (as it doesn't require installation at all,
so installation time is zero).

So, due to the fact you only have one criterion in your comparison, the
conclusions you came to are also incorrect, at least from my POV. It can be
something like "you can achieve disk space savings with ZFS, while with
ploop there is a certain overhead" or so.

2. "due to ploop bugs" — the term bugs is obviously used incorrect here.