[Users] Upgrade libc6 on containers deployed with old Ubuntu 12.04 template

Ovidiu Calbajos ovidiu.calbajos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 12:02:15 PST 2015

The template was downloaded a time ago from the official openVZ repository,
when was shipped with that PPA. The latest version of the template doesn't
include any PPA configured from from what I saw deploying a new container
using Ubuntu 12.04. Unfortunately the /var/log/installer is missing but
/var/log/lpr.log has the date Apr 20, 2012, which I can only suppose that
the container was installed around that date.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Kir Kolyshkin <kir at openvz.org> wrote:

> On 01/29/2015 11:18 AM, Ovidiu Calbajos wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
>  Today one of our customers informed us that his container was not able
> to upgrade to the latest libc6 in order to avoid the GHOST vulnerability
> CVE-2015-0235. Searching the internet was without any positive result. What
> I found out was that libc-bin, libc6, libc6-dev and libc-dev-bin were
> configured to be downloaded from a PPA(
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/izx/ovz-libc/ubuntu ) and not from the
> Canonical's update servers. So what was to remove the files
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/izx-ovz-libc-precise.list and
> /etc/apt/preferences.d/99ovz-libc-pin and do an update/upgrade to the VPS
> which resulted in updating the libc6 to the latest version available for
> Ubuntu 12.04 which is 2.15-0ubuntu10.10.
> Hopefully this message will help other users update the libc6 library on
> their containers or customer's containers.
>
>  Best regards,
> Ovidiu Calbajos
>

> Interesting. Where did you get that template? Official OpenVZ template
> doesn't have this PPA configured, using standard glibc from the default
> repo.
>
> Kir.

Cu stima

Ovidiu Calbajos