[Users] OVZ 7 network issues (vz host stops answering arp requests)

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Fri Dec 11 19:17:38 PST 2015

Greetings,

I've been running some servers in OVZ 7 containers for some months now, and
I'm happy with reliability and performance, with the exception of an
occasional loss of ct network connectivity.

>From time to time, I'll get a xymon alert that all containers are
unreachable. The cts are all using host routing. What I see, when I examine
any affected ct, is this:

The container no longer responds to ping, even from the local lan.
The vz host and container can connect to each other
The container can not reach anything beyond the host.

When I enter the container and ping another box, the pings are received,
but the box can not return the pings as the arp request goes unanswered.
For some reason the vz host forgets about the cts, and it's always all of
them. This is 2 Centos 7 boxes, running OVZ 7 beta and OVZ 7 factory

Doing a vzctl restart on each affected ct restores connectivity. Has anyone
else seen this issue?

Regards,