[Users] OVZ 7 testing

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Aug 31 09:44:47 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I could be missing something, but it appears that the only available
> ez-templates for for centos 5,6,7, debian 8, and ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Yes, that is correct.  I can only imagine that pool will grow over time.

> But debian 7 still seems to be popular, and some applications that
> run on debian 7 haven't been ported to debian 8 yet. One big
> difference is that debian 7 is based on sysv init, like centos 5,
> which debian 8 is based on systemd, like centos 7.

Ubuntu 14.04 uses Upstart so that's why I used it (rather than Debian 8) when doing the hack method I mentioned for getting a Debian 7 container on Virtuozzo 7.

Something related to that... that I've been wanting to investigate but haven't had the time to yet... is the ovztransfer.sh script for OpenVZ Legacy that allows for migrating OpenVZ Legacy containers to a Virtuozzo 7 host.  I would imagine that within that script are the fundamentals of the layout of a Virtuozzo 7 container.  I hope the knowledge gained by studying that script would allow one to use debootstrap to build a EZ OS Template from scratch if one were so inclined.