[Users] SIMFS users

Bosson VZ fabian at bosson.eu
Thu Aug 6 05:20:04 PDT 2015

Hello,

online resizing is limited by the capabilities of EXT4. Since EXT4 does
allow only online upsizing we have to do the downsizing offline. On the other
hand, our customers almost always request adding more space which is doable
online with a single command. Another problem with downsizing (even offline) is
to correctly align the FS size and the block device size. This is easy
when upsizing since EXT4 takes up all the space provided by the LVM. The other
way around it is more error prone. How would ploop overcome the shortcomings
of the guest EXT4?

My question regarding the shared ploop storage aimed for the fact that
you normally cannot have a single file system *mounted* on two different
cluster nodes/computers. You need some sort of cluster locking (protecting the
FS meta-data), hence you need a cluster file-system. My understanding of ploop
is that it provides a "block device in a file". It does not provide you with
a guest FS, does it? How can ploop protect the guest meta-data from
concurrent accesses from different computers? Also, FUSE is probably not the
technology we would like to use for our containers since a lot of them are
pretty IO heavy and we try to get the most from our block storage without
slowing it down too much with unnecessary levels of indirection.

True, you can use a simple bind mount. What I like about simfs (and that's
why all bind mounts - private->root, host->guest in bossonvz are done with
simfs) is that it hides the mount source within the guest so the guest
administrator does not get any info about the host devices/directories.

--
David Fabian
Cluster Design, s.r.o.