[Users] "Virtuzzo" vs "OpenVZ"

Gena Makhomed gmm at csdoc.com
Mon Aug 3 07:05:28 PDT 2015

On 03.08.2015 14:18, Sergey Bronnikov wrote:

 >>> we have published a part of Virtuzzo documentation on separate
 >>> site - http://docs.openvz.org/. And we will add more docs soon.

BTW, domain name virtuozzo.org is registered and currently it work
as redirect to web page http://www.odin.com/products/virtuozzo/

If "Virtuzzo" in new brand name for project - may be it now have
more sense to use virtuozzo.org domain name for project "Virtuzzo"?

For example,

virtuozzo.com - commercial version (paid support, cloud extensions, etc)
virtuozzo.org - free, open source version
virtuozzo.net - redirect to virtuozzo.org

the same way, as now nginx work:

http://nginx.com/ - commercial version
http://nginx.org/ - free, open source version
http://nginx.net/ - redirect to nginx.org

At least it will be very familiar and useful to all nginx users,
both commercial and open source versions of Nginx / Nginx Plus.

As you probably know - many OpenVZ users are also nginx users,
and inversely: many nginx users are also OpenVZ users - also true.

And, if brand name "OpenVZ" is obsoleted and deprecated -
it is very strange, what you publish Virtuozzo documentation
on site docs.openvz.org but not on expected docs.virtuozzo.org
or virtuozzo.org/docs/ or virtuozzo.org/en/docs/

If "OpenVZ" name is old brand and "Virtuozzo" is name of new brand,
for clean separation is better to use virtuozzo.org for "Virtuozzo"
and openvz.org for "OpenVZ".

Or "Virtuozzo" should be accepted as generic name, like "Windows"
and "OpenVZ" is accepted name of open source "Virtuozzo" variant?

"OpenVZ" name and brand is not deprecated and not obsoleted?

"Virtuzzo" - generic name, "OpenVZ" == "Virtuozzo Open Core" name?

Something like this:

long name: "Virtuozzo Open Core"
short name: "OpenVZ"
generic name: "Virtuozzo"

For comparsion:

long name: "Community ENTerprise Operating System"
short name: "CentOS"
generic name: "Linux" or "Enterprise Linux" or "RHEL"

Or "OpenVZ" and "Virtuozzo" is just the two different names
of the same thing and can be used with full interchangeability?

Something like this:

     When we say "OpenVZ" - we mean "Virtuozzo",
     When we say "Virtuozzo" - we mean "OpenVZ",
     "OpenVZ" and "Virtuozzo" united!

Or how we should understand current and future relations
between "OpenVZ" and "Virtuzzo" product names / brand names?

--
Best regards,
  Gena