[Users] Ploop Random I/O

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Sep 30 09:16:52 PDT 2014

On 09/30/2014 08:31 AM, Devon B. wrote:
> You should read more of the resources available at openvz.org:
> http://openvz.org/Ploop/Getting_started#Resizing_a_ploop_image
>
> There are no specific inode settings for ploop, it creates a private
> ext4 filesystem for each container, therefore the inode limit is only
> dependent on the filesystem (ext4).

Right, number of inodes is a function of disk space, is determined at
filesystem creation,
and can't be changed after that. By default, mkfs.ext4 allocates one
inode per 16KB of disk space.
You can create a few containers with a different disk space (set during
creation, i.e.
vzctl create ... --diskspace NNN) and see how it affects disk inodes
available.

Good news is, when usinig recent tools (vzctl/ploop) you can specify
disk inodes value
for ploop independent on disk space, by using vzctl create ....
--diskinodes NNN
(or specifying DISKINODES in sample CT config used when creating a
container).
Note that the value still can only be set during filesystem creation.
Try to be realistic
when setting it, don't just set it to a very high value.

Kir.