[Users] Ploop Vzdump

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Wed Oct 1 12:49:10 PDT 2014

On Oct 1, 2014 8:00 PM, "Scott Dowdle" <dowdle at montanalinux.org> wrote:

> Greetings,

add J for xz compression.  z for gz, etc.

I think nowdays tar guesses the compression algorithm from the file suffix
— this is true at least for decompression, it's enough to say xf and it
will figure the rest.

> It is just using the standard tar command so there should be no
mysteries... and you can use whatever flags you want for whatever type of
compression you want.

> What I do for my own backups, rather than tar and compress, is to rsync
to another directory on the host... but if I wanted a compressed .tar file
I would do it on my rsync'ed copy after the fact.

> > Also, does not spell out how to restore it.  Guess I can experiment but
I really
> > hopped ploop was far enough along that there were simple commands to
> > do all this.
>
> If you know how OpenVZ works, restoring it is fairly obvious but your
mileage may vary.  When a container is created a directory is created under
/vz/private named {ctid}.  Then the OS Template is extracted to that
directory.  Restoring from backup should be the exact same thing... or do
you just want a few files?  It depends.

> What does vzdump do?  How does it do its backup and restore?  It should
be fairly easy to mimic that.

> What ploop does is give one an easy way to make a snapshot which one can
make a backup of however desired... without interrupting the running
container.

> If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.  I'll try to update
the wiki entry to add the compression flag.