[Users] Live Migration Optimal execution

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sun Nov 23 14:29:44 PST 2014

On 11/23/2014 04:59 AM, Nipun Arora wrote:
> Hi Kir,
>
> Thanks for the response, I'll update it, and tell you about the results.
>
> 1. A follow up question... I found that the write I/O speed of
> 500-1Mbps increased the suspend time  to several minutes.(mostly pcopy
> stage)
> This seems extremely high for a relatively low I/O workload, which is
> why I was wondering if there are any special things I need to take
> care of.
> (I ran fio (flexible i/o writer) with fixed throughput while doing
> live migration)

Please retry with vzctl 4.8 and ploop 1.12.1 (make sure they are on both
sides).
There was a 5 second wait for the remote side to finish syncing
copied ploop data. It helped a case with not much I/O activity in
container, but
ruined the case you are talking about.

Newer ploop and vzctl implement a feedback channel for ploop copy that
eliminates
that wait time.

http://git.openvz.org/?p=ploop;a=commit;h=20d754c91079165b
http://git.openvz.org/?p=vzctl;a=commit;h=374b759dec45255d4

There are some other major improvements as well, such as async send for
ploop.

http://git.openvz.org/?p=ploop;a=commit;h=a55e26e9606e0b

> 2. For my purposes, I have modified the live migration script to allow
> me to do cloning... i.e. I start both the containers instead of
> deleting the original. I need to do this "cloning" from time to time
> for the same target container...
>
>  a. Which means that lets say we cloned container C1 to container C2,
> and let both execute at time t0, this works with no apparent loss of
> service.
> b. Now at time t1 I would like to again clone C1 to C2, and would like
> to optimize the rsync process as most of the ploop file for C1 and C2
> should still be the same (i.e. less time to sync). Can anyone suggest
> what would be the best way to realize the second point?

You can create a ploop snapshot and use shared base image for both
containers
(instead of copying the base delta, hardlink it). This is not supported
by tools
(for example, since base delta is now shared you can't merge down to it,
but the
tools are not aware) so you need to figure it out by yourself and be
accurate
but it should work.