[Users] Curious about ploop performance results.

jjs - mainphrame jjs at mainphrame.com
Fri May 2 14:10:34 PDT 2014

You know the saying, "when something seems too good to be true"...

I just installed centos 6.5 and openvz on an older machine, and when I
built an ubuntu 12.04 CT I noticed that ploop is now the default layout.
Cool. So I built another ubuntu12.04 CT, identical in every way except that
I specified smifs, so I could do a quick performance comparison.

First I did a quick timed dd run, then I ran dbench with varying numbers of
clients.

The simfs CT showed performance roughly similar to the host, which was not
too surprising.
What did surprise me was that the ploop CT showed performance which was
significantly better than the host, in both the dd test and the dbench
tests.

I know someone will tell me "dbench is a terrible benchmark" but it's also
a standard. Of course, if anyone knows a "better" benchmark, I'd love to
try it.

Regards,

J J