[Users] Installation of latest Kernel fails again (deb size mismatch)

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Mar 6 17:28:15 PST 2014

On 03/02/2014 02:01 PM, spameden wrote:

> <mailto:ola at inguza.com>>:
>
>     Hi
>
>     Problem fixed now.
>     I had fixed the problem temporarily, but I had forgotten to
>     upgrade to the debarchiver version with the fix so it will not
>     happen again. Now I have done the upgrade and fixed the problem
>     properly.
>

> I think it's not fixed properly:
>
> 1) wrong version of linux-image:
> # dpkg -l|grep linux-image-openvz
> ii  linux-image-openvz-amd64 042+1
> amd64        OpenVZ Linux kernel (meta-package)
>
> 2) # ls /boot |grep openvz
> config-2.6.32-openvz-042stab084.17-amd64
> *config-2.6.32-openvz-amd64*
> initrd.img-2.6.32-openvz-042stab084.17-amd64
> *initrd.img-2.6.32-openvz-amd64*
> System.map-2.6.32-openvz-042stab084.17-amd64
> *System.map-2.6.32-openvz-amd64*
> vmlinuz-2.6.32-openvz-042stab084.17-amd64
> *vmlinuz-2.6.32-openvz-amd64*
>
> so now we are missing usual version here in the package.. that's
> actually very bad ... can you look into it?
>
> many thanks.

This is intentional, and I changed it after looking into how default
Debian kernel is packaged/versioned.

If you take a look, they have [meta]package linux-image-amd64 which requires
package linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64. The latter (currently) has a version of
3.2.54-2 and this version is changed (incremented) with every release, while
package name stays the same (linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64). Also, vzkernel
name stays the same -- it is /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 in different
versions.
I am using the very same approach now for OpenVZ kernels.

Previously I was adding the VZ version (i.e. 042stab0xy.z) into kernel
package name,
and it was added to vmlinuz and the /lib/modules directory name as well.
The problem
is, you need to specify a different dependency in
linux-image-openvz-amd64 metapackage,
and apt-get upgrade complains that it can't upgrade the system since a
new version
of an installed package (linux-image-amd64) requires a package that is
not installed yet.
The problem could be fixed by running dist-upgrade, but eventually I
decided that
this message is a hint that I package openvz kernels improperly, that
lead me to
looking into a way standard Debian kernels are packaged and implementing it
the same way for OpenVZ kernels.

I am not a Debian guru and am very open to suggestions on how to improve
this.
Perhaps we can return to the older versioning scheme and ask people to
use dist-upgrade.
Or maybe I am totally missing something. Please help.

Kir.