[Users] [Announce] [security] Kernel RHEL6 042stab090.3

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Mon Jun 9 17:37:01 PDT 2014

On 06/08/2014 08:32 AM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:

> Am 07.06.2014 um 11:12 schrieb Kir Kolyshkin <kir at openvz.org
> <mailto:kir at openvz.org>>:
>
>> On 06/06/2014 09:48 PM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
>>> Oh sorry. My fault. Yes it's the same with 090.2
>>
>> I tried to reproduce it locally on an CentOS x86_64 box with the
>> following set of commands,
>> (checking that every one of those succeeds):
>>
>>     yum -y update
>>     yum -u install yum-utils
>>     rpm --import http://download.openvz.org/RPM-GPG-Key-OpenVZ
>>     wget
>> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32-testing/042stab090.2/vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab090.2.src.rpm
>>     yum-builddep -y vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab090.2.src.rpm
>>     rpmbuild --rebuild vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab090.2.src.rpm
>>
>> The end result is built kernel packages.
>>
>> So, then I tried building from source+patch:
>>
>>     wget
>> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32-testing/042stab090.2/patches/patch-042stab090.2-combined.gz
>>     wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.tar.xz
>>     tar xf linux-2.6.32.tar.xz
>>     cd linux-2.6.32
>>     gzip -dc ../patch-042stab090.2-combined.gz | patch -p1
>>     wget
>> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32-testing/042stab090.2/configs/config-2.6.32-042stab090.2.x86_64
>>     mv config-2.6.32-042stab090.2.x86_64 .config
>>     make oldconfig
>>     make -j16
>>
>> Same result -- it was built w/o errors.
>>
>> So, I was not able to reproduce your issue in either way.
>>
>> *Two questions:*
>>
>> 1. Can you please describe how you build the kernel (including the build
>> environment description), in a way so I will be able to reproduce it
>> locally
>> (for example, something similar to the above)?
>
> Mhm debian 7.5 using a custom config. But while looking through the
> source code i was not able to der a
> reason why it shouldn't work.

I am also building kernels for Debian as well (although I am using
gcc-4.4.6 from CentOS 6
and I recommend everyone to do the same -- Red Hat kernels are somewhat
sensitive to the
version of gcc being used -- but I think it's not the cause of the
problem here)

It's probably because of your .config. Is it possible that you share it?
Alternatively, do a diff
between your config and ours, maybe something will look suspicious. For
example, you have
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m instead of y, it might cause this (not tested).

As for the patches you have, I doubt it is the cause, but it might be.

Just a general note -- when filing a bug report, it is a good thing to
provide
everything that can help to reproduce it. So, instead of just saying "I
got such error
compiling such kernel" you can say "I got such error compiling such
kernel on
an Ubuntu xx.xx using gcc x.x.x, attached are my .config and the patches
I apply
on top of yours". This is in your own interest, if you want the issue to
be solved.

>> 2. (Just curious) What is the reason you are building your own kernels
>> instead of relying on packaged binaries that we release? Sorry if I
>> already
>> asked.
>
> Needed some tweaks newer intel 10gbe drivers, ISO vfs support inside guest

I'd suggest using fuseiso for that.