[Users] yum update error kernel-firmware

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Jun 3 00:02:00 PDT 2014

On 06/02/2014 08:09 PM, Rene C. wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. So if I understand right neither
> vzkernel-firmware or kernel-firmware needs to be installed?

No, either one of them has to be installed.

Both packages provide kernel-firmware, but as they are available
from two repos (openvz and centos), one has to be disabled
to avoid conflict.

Usually if you are on CentOS 6, you should be good with the
firmware provided by the CentOS repo. I am not sure why
it's not your case (have you disabled centos 6 updates repo?
excluded kernel-firmware package from centos 6 updates repo?
something else entirely?), but nevertheless we still have
vzkernel-firmware in our OpenVZ repo, so if you can't get it
elsewhere (for whatever reason), you can just re-enable it
in a way I described (i.e. uncommenting the #exclude line).

Again, it's excluded by default to prevent conflict with the
kernel-firmware package from CentOS 6 own repo.

> http://openvz.org/Vzkernel-firmware seems to suggests kernel-firmware
> is required: ("Package vzkernel-firmware is provided for distributions
> other than RHEL/CentOS 6, which lacks the package. On a CentOS 6, this
> package is not needed and it conflicts with the kernel-firmware
> package.").

Yes, this is essentially the same I just described :)