[Users] Opinions and experience of Openvz

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Jul 17 10:33:40 PDT 2014

On 2014-07-17, Pablo Silva <psilvao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues, I would like to know your experience using openvz, my boss
> tells me that if we use openvz, when you upgrade from Centos 6.x, we lose
> the openvz kernel and leave offline multiple virtual machines. Exists this
> risk?, As you have faced, or is a valid opinion but that has not happened
> in practice?

When you upgrade from CentOS 6.x to what?  7.x?  6.x to 6.x+1?

If you update the CentOS kernel package there is a slight risk that you
will mess up your grub.conf file and boot that kernel by accident.  The
easy solution is to exclude kernel-* in your yum configuration, so that
yum will never update the package.  (And FWIW I haven't seen this issue
in practice.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us