[Users] CentOS 7 OS Template now in contrib

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Jul 8 08:00:29 PDT 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org> -----
> I think at some point Openvz.org should provide trusted builds like
> docker is doing.

Ok, I'll bite.  What is a "Docker Trusted Build"?  Whatever those are, I'm sure the OpenVZ "official" OS Templates are the equivalent.

In several of OS Templates I contribute (Fedora 20, CentOS 6 and 7, SL 6 [7 ASAP], Oracle EL 6 [7 ASAP]), the build scripts are included within the OS Template (/root/create-*.sh) so the user can build their own from scratch if desired.

> At least we could get good docs on how those images are built.

There are fairly good docs sprinkled throughout the wiki but it varies from distro to distro.

I'd guess that the vast majority of OS Templates come from various chroot build environment programs that many distros have now.  Provide those programs with a list of packages and they download them from the distro's official repositories, extract them into a install root directory, and then when done, makes some minor changes for containerization (fix up /etc/fstab, eliminate unneeded gettys, etc).  It probably works best when you are building distro X from within distro X.

For the contributed OS Templates, there is supposed to be a corresponding forum post with build details but very few people seem to follow that including myself.  I need to get better at that.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street