[Users] How to create containers from a ploop base image (clones)

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Fri Feb 14 11:19:50 PST 2014

On 02/14/2014 10:51 AM, Alessandro Brega wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I already created and setup a container using ploop I'd like to use a
> base image for all "real" containers.
>
> I though using ploop this should be quite simple: just create a
> snapshot of this base image for every new container. But I just cannot
> see how I can do this?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alessandro

ploop is architectured in a way so images are not shared between containers.
More to say, base image is specifically checked to be unique (i.e. not
used for
any other ploop device) because it is used to uniquely identify which
container
it belongs to. I think this is the problem you have seen.

Nevertheless, you can use hardlinks to a "master" base image to create
multiple containers having the same base image. Note symlinks won't work,
you need hardlinks.

Hope that helps,
   Kir.