[Users] Starting With OpenVZ and Having Interface Issues

Corey Carpenter fruitwerks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:33:55 PST 2014

Looks pretty solid... If nobody chimes in, I would see if anyone is having
bridging issues in general with your specific NIC family / device.
If this was my setup, I would first disable IPv6 at the kernel level to see
if the behavior persists. Hopefully some more seasoned gurus have some
better ideas.

> > I just installed OpenVZ on CentOS 6.x 64 bit following this guide a
> > few days ago.
> >
> > http://openvz.org/Quick_Installation_CentOS_6
> >
> > I am mostly interested in creating containers with veth interfaces so
> > I can assign multiple public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from inside the
> > container.  I noticed that when I am logged into the CentOS physical
> > server with putty through ssh I can start a container that has a veth
> > interface with 'vzctl start 102' and it starts just fine.  I can ping
> > its IPv4 and IPv6 addresses just fine.  However when I issue 'vzctl
> > stop 102' my putty ssh connection to the OpenVZ server is dropped and
> > I must reconnect.  I am able to reconnect just fine.  Again, I am
> > logged into the OpenVZ master not the container.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what is going on here?  After further testing I
> > determined it does not always do it.  The first time I stop a
> > container after I reboot the master, physical server, it seems most
> > prone to act up.
> >
> > ######### just did reboot 30 minutes ago or so............
> >
> > [root at ex1 ~]# vzlist
> >       CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
> >        103         92 running   -               server.example456.com
> > [root at ex1 ~]# vzctl start 102
> > Starting container...
> > Container is mounted
> > Setting CPU units: 1000
> > Setting CPUs: 1
> > Configure veth devices: veth102.0
> > Adding interface veth102.0 to bridge vmbr0 on CT0 for CT102
> > Container start in progress...
> > [root at ex1 ~]# vzlist
> >       CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
> >        102         19 running   -               server102.example.com
> >        103         92 running   -               server.example456.com
> > [root at ex1 ~]# vzctl stop 102
> > Stopping container ...
> >
> > ############## Here is where I get kicked off putty/ssh......
>

> [root at ex1 ~]# rpm -qa |grep vz
> e2fsprogs-resize2fs-static-1.42.3-3.2.ovz.x86_64
> vzstats-0.5.2-1.noarch
> vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab084.20.x86_64
> vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab084.17.x86_64
> vzctl-core-4.6.1-1.x86_64
> vzquota-3.1-1.x86_64
> vzctl-4.6.1-1.x86_64
>
> This is how interfaces are setup.
> http://openvz.org/Quick_Installation_CentOS_6
>
> [root at ex1 ~]# cat /etc/sysctl.conf |grep -v "#"
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding = 1
> net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1
> net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.default.proxy_arp = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.default.send_redirects = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0
> net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.default.accept_source_route = 0
> kernel.sysrq = 1
> kernel.core_uses_pid = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
> net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 1
> net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 1
> net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables = 0
> [...]

Any use, dissemination, distribution, posting on Internet bulletin boards,
disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained herein by
or to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
Use of this content for any other purpose is a violation of International
Copyright Laws.