[Users] Starting With OpenVZ and Having Interface Issues

Corey Carpenter fruitwerks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:46:11 PST 2014

Please post your Kernel & patchset versions, vz utility versions, as well
as your interfaces configuration for the host.

> I just installed OpenVZ on CentOS 6.x 64 bit following this guide a
> few days ago.
>
> http://openvz.org/Quick_Installation_CentOS_6
>
> I am mostly interested in creating containers with veth interfaces so
> I can assign multiple public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from inside the
> container.  I noticed that when I am logged into the CentOS physical
> server with putty through ssh I can start a container that has a veth
> interface with 'vzctl start 102' and it starts just fine.  I can ping
> its IPv4 and IPv6 addresses just fine.  However when I issue 'vzctl
> stop 102' my putty ssh connection to the OpenVZ server is dropped and
> I must reconnect.  I am able to reconnect just fine.  Again, I am
> logged into the OpenVZ master not the container.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is going on here?  After further testing I
> determined it does not always do it.  The first time I stop a
> container after I reboot the master, physical server, it seems most
> prone to act up.
>
> ######### just did reboot 30 minutes ago or so............
>
> [root at ex1 ~]# vzlist
>       CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
>        103         92 running   -               server.example456.com
> [root at ex1 ~]# vzctl start 102
> Starting container...
> Container is mounted
> Setting CPU units: 1000
> Setting CPUs: 1
> Configure veth devices: veth102.0
> Adding interface veth102.0 to bridge vmbr0 on CT0 for CT102
> Container start in progress...
> [root at ex1 ~]# vzlist
>       CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
>        102         19 running   -               server102.example.com
>        103         92 running   -               server.example456.com
> [root at ex1 ~]# vzctl stop 102
> Stopping container ...
>
> ############## Here is where I get kicked off putty/ssh......

Any use, dissemination, distribution, posting on Internet bulletin boards,
disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained herein by
or to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.
Use of this content for any other purpose is a violation of International
Copyright Laws.