[Users] The future of OpenVZ: Virtuozzo Core

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sat Dec 27 14:02:56 PST 2014

On 12/27/2014 03:12 AM, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Pavel Odintsov
> <pavel.odintsov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Awesome!!!! Is it possible to join to development committee?
> Any chance to see openvz against mainline one day?

Maybe this is rarely visible, but we are working hard on it for the last
9 years.
I think it is correct to say Parallels/OpenVZ is the single biggest
contributor to the
Linux Containers kernel code. Yes, we contributed more than Google, IBM
or other
big guys. In terms of patches, it is well over 1500. The biggest
features are:
  - net and PID namespaces,
  - CRIU kernel support (containers checkpoint/restore and more)
  - kernel memory accounting (still in progress).
  - (I guess I am missing something else)

We are working on the rest of it (and we hope the process will accelerate
with vzcore).

As to why such contribution is not very visible, my guess is people are
not using
kernel directly, but relying on userspace tools such as lxc, vzctl and
docker. So,
those tools are the only obvious component, with the Linux kernel doing
its work
in background without much fanfares.