[Users] sysctl -w

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Wed Oct 30 09:37:10 PDT 2013

On 30.10.13 16:21, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 07:34 AM, Peter Sabaini wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've read somewhere that with OpenVZ kernel > 2.6.32-042stab072.10 it
>> should be possible to set sysctl from within the VE
>>
>> However:
>>
>> # sysctl -w fs.file-max=10000
>> error: permission denied on key 'fs.file-max'
>> # uname -a
>> Linux xxx 2.6.32-042stab081.5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 23 16:32:28 MSK 2013
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> You have to change this on the host system (i.e. hardware node).
> For container, this is limited by numfile UBC (http://openvz.org/numfile)

Yeah...

Maybe I should elaborate on my usecase: I'm testing my Salt
(http://saltstack.com/) configuration (which ultimately deploys to
metal) inside OpenVZ.

Works great, I especially appreciate the fact that a new VE can be
quickly built/restarted and I can have a simulation of a whole cluster
in a VMware box thanks to the low overhead of VEs.

However, sometimes I would like to do low-level config via Salt as well,
and up to now I've relied on ugly hacks to make Salt think that # sysctl
-p etc. have actually succeeded and I was wondering if that was still
necessary.

So from what you're saying I gather that that hasn't changed and I can't
write kernel sysctls from VE, right?

Thanks,
peter.