[Users] Unable to remove venet0 interface from a container

Dan Bassett dbassett at oreillyschool.com
Tue Jan 15 11:14:07 EST 2013

I have been investigating using OpenVZ in our environment to provide
virtual machines to students for learning systems administration.  In
order to provide a realistic environment, I'd like to be able to remove
the venet0 interface and only have loopback, eth0 and eth1 interfaces in
the container.  So far, my attempts to remove venet0 have been
unfruitful.  I followed the documentation on the OpenVZ wiki
(http://wiki.openvz.org/Disable_venet_interface), but I had no luck
there.  In fact, if I do not load the vznetdev module on the HN, I get a
kernel panic on the HN when I attempt to start a container.

I have two test containers, one based on a template that I obtained
directly from OpenVZ (A Centos6 template), and one I made using an
existing Centos6 root filesystem that we are currently using with User
Mode Linux (with some minor modifications to work with OVZ, mostly in
the TTY department).  Starting either container without the vznetdev
module loaded on the HN causes the kernel panic.

The HN is running CentOS release 6.3 (Final), with this kernel:

Linux centos6.office.useractive.com 2.6.32-042stab068.8 #1 SMP Fri Dec 7
17:06:14 MSK 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed the kernel and OpenVZ tools directly from OpenVZ's own
CentOS6 yum repository.  Is it actually possible to remove the venet
interface from a container?  If so, how?

Thanks,
Dan