[Users] [HELP] Unable to use X11 forwarding to Ubuntu 12.04 inside OpenVZ

Björn Lindgren bjorn.lindgren at clearit.se
Wed Feb 6 08:43:38 EST 2013

Hi,

If I call correctly you can not run a X-server inside the container as
you do not have a graphical display device in OpenVZ.

But you are able to export your display to an external machine. If xauth
is in your PATH it will create or update .Xauthority upon login invoked
by the ssh daemon. xauth only needed then tunneling X over SSH. You can
always invoke X programs directly by using the parameter "-display" or
better yet settting the DISPLAY environment variable to point to your
remote X-server.

Regards,
Bjorn