[Users] How to configure a server to use multiple subnets/gateways

Rene C. openvz at dokbua.com
Sat Aug 17 05:02:55 EDT 2013

I have this hardware node with IP xxx.22.181.158

Node runs Centos 6, so does all containers.

I already have 4 containers with IP addreses on the same submit
(xxx.22.181.*) running fine.

Problem is, now my data center gave me 3 IP addresses in a new subnet
with a separate gateway:

IP add  : xxx.13.31.130  -  132
subnet : 255.255.255.224
gateway : xxx.13.31.129

The only way I can make this work is by taking one of these IP
addresses and bind to the hardware node, then I can use the remaining
IP addresses with containers - but this way I lose an IP address - the
one bound to the hardware node, which seems no longer usable for
containers.

This is a problem both because there's a limit to how many IP's the DC
will allocate to a server, and because the IP addresses are quite
costly.

Did I misunderstand something?

- Rene