[Users] 64/32 guests

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 10 12:29:38 EDT 2012

Hi Mark,

> what benefit is there of running 64bit guests over 32bit guests if you are only running 32 bit programs even if they do use a lot of memory?

I'd say that this kind of depends on expected usage.

On a 64-bit node you can run 32-bit and 64-bit containers, so there is
some flexibility.

For a general purpose run-of-the-mill web- and email server which does a
bit of MySQL and PHP scripting on the sidelines it usually doesn't make
much difference if you use a 32-bit or a 64-bit guest OS in the container.

I use the same OS in 32-bit and 64-bit versions on OpenVZ and typically
see no difference in their performance.

In my experience 64-bit only starts to shine when you have plenty of RAM
and use applications in the guest OS which really make use of 64-bit
stuff. Like massive parallel processing, heavy database usage or
graphics rendering. YMMV.

--
With best regards

Michael Stauber