[Users] Docs to understand how OpenVZ is implemented.

Andrew Vagin avagin at parallels.com
Fri Sep 7 19:10:35 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 05:17:28PM +0400, Kentaro Ebisawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any documents/blogs/books I should read to understand how OpenVZ is implemented?
> I went over http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page , searched Google but could not find details.
>
> I'm especially interested in networking code.
> For example ...
>  * What was added to networking code?
>    vzethdev.c and what?
>  * code path difference compared to vanilla kernel when receiving/sending packet.
>  * How cgroup is used.

A new net namespace is create for each CT. Two types of network
devices can be used for connectivity with external networks:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Veth
http://wiki.openvz.org/Venet

UBC have a few limits for network buffers.
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_secondary_parameters

You can look at patch-042stab061 in
http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32-testing/042stab061.8/vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab061.8.src.rpm
This patch contains only OpenVZ changes.