[Users] memory issues on openvz hardware node

manoj j manojj at adodis.com
Mon Oct 29 10:10:16 EDT 2012

Hello All,

I have a query on openvz installation and management. It would be of
great help if any body can help me out. I have posted the same question
in many forums, but couldn't find a solution.

We have purchased a dedicated server with following configuration

32GB RAM (64GB SWAP) 16 core (Processor: Intel Quadcore E5420)

After that we have installed openvz kernel and hosted 13 VPS on it.

The issue what are facing is, i have allocated only 21GB RAM for all the
VPS. However, the hardware, it is showing only 1113MB memory left!

# free -m
              total       used       free     shared buffers     cached
Mem:         32112      30998       1113          0 1715      24082
-/+ buffers/cache:       5201      26911
Swap:        65538          0      65538

VPSID                |           RAM ALLOCATED

101
	2GB
102
	1GB
103
	1GB
104
	1GB
105
	2GB
106
	1GB
107
	1GB
108
	1GB
109
	2GB
110
	4GB
111
	3GB
112
	1GB
113
	1GB

We are using solusvm control panel to manage the vms and in the node
limit I have set the following limits

Max Memory: 32 GB Max Disk: 1 TB

WE have also set bustible RAM as same as the actual RAM for all the VMS.

Can anybody tell us what is the issue? Is it normal with openvz
virtualisation ?

--
Thanks and Regards
Manoj Janardhan