[Users] libcgroup and RHEL/CentOS/SL 6

LightDot lightdot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:43:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Todd Lyons <tlyons at ivenue.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM, LightDot <lightdot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a heads up to all whom this might concern - libcgroup from openvz
>> repo is now replacing the original libcgroup on RHEL 6.
>> This kind of invasive OS changes should be announced somewhere,
>> really. Just a silent drop in the repo isn't a good way to introduce
>> such packages.
>
> Look back in this mailing list 2 days before your post.  Kir explained
> the need for it there.
>
> ...Todd

No, with all due respect, he didn't. I've seen the message, there is
nothing there about RHEL 6. As far as I can see, this RHEL 6 update is
a collateral damage caused by a quick fix to push the update trough on
RHEL 5.

Wouldn't it be better to issue the <= version of libcgroup, so the
stock version on RHEL 6 wouldn't get updated? Or to make a separate
yum tools repos for RHEL 5 and 6 and properly fix the problem on RHEL
5..? It seems that the RHEL 5 / 6 gap is getting too big for one
single repo, doesn't it?

I've been maintaining yum/up2date repos for longer I'd care to
remember and IMHO, this vzctl / ploop upgrade didn't go very well.
It's not my intention to bash anyone or to sound ungrateful for all
the work openvz team is putting into openvz and the kernel itself, I
just posted to warn other RHEL 6 users. So please take this as a
simple heads up & some well intended and, hopefully, constructive
criticism.

How about a openvz-utils-testing to help future updates..?

Regards,
Ales