[Users] disk use/empty files question

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 31 15:41:16 EDT 2012

Hello openvz users,

I am brand new to OpenVZ, evaluating it to see if it will work in my
environment.  I have been playing around, and had a question about disk
usage.

I noticed that, when I first started using my new VZ container, that df
always reported 0 blocks in use:

# df -h
/dev/simfs            693G     0  693G   0% /
none                   16G  4.0K   16G   1% /dev

This is even after having copied quite a bit of data into the container.

Recently, the hardware node seems to have had a hard crash (which I'm
still checking out).  On restart, a large number of files that I'd
previously added were truncated to be empty, for example:

# ls -l /usr/lib64/libMagickWand.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 May  7 12:07 /usr/lib64/libMagickWand.so.2.0.0

I'm not sure how to interpret these events.  Could they possibly be
related?  Is there an issue with my configuration that's causing
problems with container storage?

I am using a CentOS 6.2 on the hardware node, and the stock packages
available from the OpenVZ repos.  In addition, after the file size issue
occurred I modified the VZ's config to increase the disk space limits
(it was previously 2G:1000G), which I wonder might be the cause.

Some additional info below.  If you need any more details please let me
know.  Thanks!

# uname -a
Linux dhcp-128-32-252-85.lips.berkeley.edu 2.6.32-042stab055.10 #1 SMP
Thu May 10 15:38:32 MSD 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# rpm -qa |grep vz
vzctl-3.2.1-1.x86_64
vzkernel-firmware-2.6.32-042stab055.10.noarch
vzctl-lib-3.2.1-1.x86_64
vzquota-3.0.12-1.x86_64
vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab055.10.x86_64

# cat /etc/vz/conf/21.conf

# RAM (this particular server has 128GB of physical memory)
PHYSPAGES="0:32G"

# Swap
SWAPPAGES="0:512M"

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="1000G:2000G"
DISKINODES="400000:500000"
QUOTATIME="0"

# CPU fair scheduler parameter