: [Users] Inode Limits not setting correctly

Mark Johanson mjohanson at a2hosting.com
Mon May 28 16:34:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 00:15 +0400, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> I am kinda lost here... Can you please give us the exact sequence of
> commands that you use, tothether with their output?

When ta new VPS is building if I run:

[root]# cat 101.conf

I get the following output:

#  Copyright (C) 2000-2011, Parallels, Inc. All rights reserved.
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307
USA
#
ONBOOT="yes"
# UBC parameters (in form of barrier:limit)
KMEMSIZE="14372700:14790164"
LOCKEDPAGES="2048:2048"
PRIVVMPAGES="65536:69632"
SHMPAGES="21504:21504"
NUMPROC="240:240"
PHYSPAGES="0:unlimited"
VMGUARPAGES="33792:unlimited"
OOMGUARPAGES="26112:unlimited"
NUMTCPSOCK="360:360"
NUMFLOCK="188:206"
NUMPTY="100:100"
NUMSIGINFO="256:256"
TCPSNDBUF="1720320:2703360"
TCPRCVBUF="1720320:2703360"
OTHERSOCKBUF="1126080:2097152"
DGRAMRCVBUF="262144:262144"
NUMOTHERSOCK="360:360"
DCACHESIZE="3409920:3624960"
NUMFILE="9312:9312"
AVNUMPROC="1000:1000"
NUMIPTENT="1000:1000"

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="50G:50G"
DISKINODES="600000:700000"
QUOTATIME="86400"

# CPU fair scheduler parameter
CPUUNITS="1000"
VE_ROOT="/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/vz/private/$VEID"
OSTEMPLATE="centos-5.0-x86"
ORIGIN_SAMPLE="basic"
IP_ADDRESS=""
HOSTNAME="server.example.com"
NAMESERVER="
MEMINFO="pages:131072"
CPULIMIT="400"
CPUS="4"
SWAPPAGES="0"

When it completes the build of the VPS, that same exact command results
in the following:

[root]# cat 101.conf

[...]
KMEMSIZE="2147483646"
LOCKEDPAGES="999999"
PRIVVMPAGES="131072"
SHMPAGES="65536"
NUMPROC="999999"
PHYSPAGES="0:2147483647"
VMGUARPAGES="65536:2147483647"
OOMGUARPAGES="65536:2147483647"
NUMTCPSOCK="7999992"
NUMFLOCK="999999"
NUMPTY="500000"
NUMSIGINFO="999999"
TCPSNDBUF="214748160:396774400"
TCPRCVBUF="214748160:396774400"
OTHERSOCKBUF="214748160:396774400"
DGRAMRCVBUF="214748160:396774400"
NUMOTHERSOCK="7999992"
DCACHESIZE="2147483646"
NUMFILE="23999976"
AVNUMPROC="1000:1000"
NUMIPTENT="999999"

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="10485760:10485760"
DISKINODES="5242880:5242880"
QUOTATIME="86400"

# CPU fair scheduler parameter
CPUUNITS="1000"
VE_ROOT="/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/vz/private/$VEID"
OSTEMPLATE="centos-5.0-x86"
ORIGIN_SAMPLE="basic"
IP_ADDRESS=""
HOSTNAME="server.example.com"
NAMESERVER=""
MEMINFO="pages:131072"
CPULIMIT="400"
CPUS="4"
SWAPPAGES="0"

As you can see the diskinodes are not set to the 600k:700k limits. If I
actually run the set command manually:

[root]# vzctl set 101 --diskinodes 600000:700000 --save
CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/101.conf
[root]# vzctl set 101 --quotatime 86400 --save
CT configuration saved to /etc/vz/conf/101.conf

I end up with:

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="10485760:10485760"
DISKINODES="600000:700000"
QUOTATIME="86400"

Set exactly as I need them. If I reboot (or even rebuild) the vm, the
numbers stay exactly as I set them when I manually run the vzctl set
with the limits I want. But a newly created vm again ends up with some
arbitrary number for the diskinodes.