[Users] occasional high loadavg without any noticeable cpu/memory/io load

Martin Dobrev martin at dobrev.eu
Wed May 23 03:14:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

?? 22.5.2012 ?. 13:27 ?., Rene C. ??????:
> Hi Sirk,
>

>     If you want some practical information on ploop: We are using it in a
>     highly productive environment.
>     It was either, try ploop and hope it works, or have the systems fail
>     every 2nd day.
>     So we decided to use ploop and are more than happy.
>     It even solves a lot of issues we had with the private areas directly
>     on the nfs share.
>     But of course, thats totally up to you.
>     I started with only a few "unimportant" CTs and then merged everything
>     after a while (42 CTs).
>

> Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
>
> Maybe a little off topic, but I am curious to know:  At the moment I
> find it very convenient to go directly into a containers filesystem
> from the hardware node - i.e. something like
> /vz/private/xxx/var/log/... etc -  Would I be correct in presuming
> that by using ploop this will no longer be possible?  I know I could
> just setup a test system and try it out but if you know already it
> would save me some time ;)

It's not very practical to access the containers from the VZ/private
mount point, as it breaks for example the quota stats of the container.
If you still want to do things there better go for the VZ/root mount
point. (Advice given to me by one of the now-a-days developer of
Viruozzo) And as you already mentioned ploop, as far as I know the
ploop-container will be mounted to VZ/root of the CT and you'll still
have access to the info in there.