[Users] occasional high loadavg without any noticeable cpu/memory/io load

Rene C. openvz at dokbua.com
Tue May 22 06:27:20 EDT 2012

Hi Sirk,

> If you want some practical information on ploop: We are using it in a
> highly productive environment.
> It was either, try ploop and hope it works, or have the systems fail
> every 2nd day.
> So we decided to use ploop and are more than happy.
> It even solves a lot of issues we had with the private areas directly
> on the nfs share.
> But of course, thats totally up to you.
> I started with only a few "unimportant" CTs and then merged everything
> after a while (42 CTs).

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Maybe a little off topic, but I am curious to know:  At the moment I find
it very convenient to go directly into a containers filesystem from the
hardware node - i.e. something like /vz/private/xxx/var/log/... etc -
 Would I be correct in presuming that by using ploop this will no longer be
possible?  I know I could just setup a test system and try it out but if
you know already it would save me some time ;)

> So you have a different FileSystem for the "problem"-Container that is
> even on a different disk ?
> If that is the case, this CT should not affect the others at all in terms
> of IO.

Indeed, this is the only container on that filesystem and that physical
drive.  This time there were  no "spill over" but previous times when load
hit 50 or more the load  certainly did spill into other containers.

Best,
Rene