[Users] Debian: recommended kernel

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri May 4 05:58:12 EDT 2012

Thanks for all the responses!

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 09:14 +0400, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
> On 05/02/2012 09:39 PM, Timh B wrote:
> > This was linked earlier this week;
> > https://github.com/CoolCold/tools/blob/master/openvz/kernel/create-ovz-kernel-for-debian.sh
> >
> > Might be useful for you if you wish to get a debianized openvz-kernel.
>
> Yet another solution is to use alien:
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Install_kernel_from_RPM_on_Debian_6.0
>
> The bad thing about it is it's not a "native" way. The good thing is you
> have the same bit-by-bit binary kernel which we test a lot.

In the meanwhile I have tried two of the suggested solutions:

* RHEL6-kernel (debianized with alien)
* proxmox-kernel from their repository (which for the 2.6.32 version
says it is based on RHEL6)

(I haven't looked yet into building my own with CoolCold's script)

I didn't have troubles to install either of those. However, both expose
the exact same problem. The network bridges vzbr0 and vzbr1 do not work
correctly and I need those for the veth devices of the containers.
Networking without those bridges seem to work fine, but when the bridges
are active, TCP connections fail to work. UDP seems to be not affected,
both inbound and outbound connections work. However, with TCP I can only
establish outbound connections, but as soon as the connection is
established, nothing is received on the other end anymore. Nor can I
send from outside to the machine with vzbr0.

When I switch back to Debian's OpenVZ kernel, the problems disappear,
but come back, when I boot into the RHEL6 or proxmox kernel. I wonder if
really the kernel is the problem or rather some network/bridge
configuration. I assume others do run bridges successfully with the
aforementioned kernels also run CTs with veths successfully. Is that
correct?

Roman

This is my network configuration on said machine:

eth2  eth3                physical NICs
 |     |
 +--+--+

  bond0

+---+-----+----------+
|         |          |
vlan20  vlan30    vlan31   VLANs
|         |
vzbr0   vzbr1              bridges

DMZ     local(NFS)

---
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Fasst die beiden physischen 10Gb-Ports zu
# einem Interface zusammen
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-mode 4