[Users] Re: lvm and openvz

John Knight john at classiccitytelco.com
Thu Mar 29 05:32:34 EDT 2012

> I'm not sure why people think that RHEL6 kernel is pure 2.6.32. It is
> definitely not!

I completely agree, Kir.  RHEL 6's 2.6.32 branch is also an attractive
target because of the security and feature support coming from Red Hat
for a long period of time.

I look back two years ago and there was a plethora of kernels being
actively developed (at one point it was 2.6.26, 2.6.27, 2.6.32 vanilla,
2.6.32-el6 testing, 2.6.18-el5, 2.6.18-el5 testing, etc) and look at
what's happening now and it's night and day.

Namely I can see the quality of work done by the OpenVZ dev team really
shining when they've stopped working on so many branches.  I think that
was really hurting the project.  Now we have awesome stuff like Ploop
and vSwap coming out too.  It's an exciting time for OpenVZ.

With regard to David Brown, I haven't been a Debian user for nearly 5
years but I do recall other people compiling the openvz el6 branch in
Debian without much trouble.  It becomes harder to support I'd imagine
as you would have to compile each release by hand unless you made your
own deb package but I've certainly heard of it being possible.  I just
checked the OpenVZ wiki and came across this as well:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Install_kernel_from_RPM_on_Debian_6.0

*John Knight*
Classic City Telco LLC
*Email:* john at classiccitytelco.com *|* *Main:* (706) 995-0200