[Users] Re: lvm and openvz

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Mar 29 05:04:10 EDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 11:49 AM, David Brown wrote:

> I /really/ wish the openvz developers would move beyond kernel 2.6.32 -
> kernal 2.6.33 introduced snapshot merging to LVM which would play
> wonderfully with this setup.

I'm not sure why people think that RHEL6 kernel is pure 2.6.32. It is
definitely not!

For snapshot merging, I am not an expert here but googling for 'rhel6
lvm snapshot merging'
gave me this:

  http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel6/rhel_6_lvm_admin/rhel_6_lvm_snapshot_merge.html

and this:

  https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/58510

Both articles suggest RHEL6 kernel supports LVM snapshot merging, and so
should
OpenVZ RHEL6-based kernel.

PS If you are using non-rhel6 openvz kernel, it's definitely time to
switch, and lots of reasons
to do that besides LVM snapshot merging. Notable things are vswap,
ploop, stability...

Kir.